On 10/13/2014 10:10 PM, Andrew Sutherland wrote:
On 10/13/2014 07:06 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 wrote:
I nominally agree with this sentiment, but there are a few caveats:
1. nsITreeView and <xul:tree> exist and are usable in Mozilla code today. No HTML-based alternative to these are so easily usable.

There are many lazy-rendering infinite tree/table/infinite list implementations out there:

I found far fewer when searching, but I suppose I'm just bad at coming up with search terms.
e) already existed and were generally maintained in toolkit/

This is a weird, NIH-ish requirement. Why should Mozilla create and maintain an HTML tree widget when there are so many open source implementations that already exist?

I suppose the requirement I really meant was "does not require a massive toolkit to work properly." Taken to the extreme, we'd end up with a half a dozen large JS toolkits being installed when we install Firefox--see the current thread about Firefox installer size pondering. Also, I feel that a Mozilla-maintained (or at least Mozilla-blessed) toolkit is far more likely to solve issues that aren't normally in the thoughts of web developers, e.g., accessibility.

From another point of view: Mozilla, for over a decade, provided a relatively featureful toolkit for building UIs known as XUL. If the argument is that we should be using HTML instead of XUL, then wouldn't it make sense to provide an at-least-as-featureful HTML toolkit to make migration easy and relatively painless?

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer