Jonas Sicking writes:

> But any type of regression is cause for backout.

While I agree regressions are bad, this isn't the usual process.

If it were, then I wouldn't bother filing bugs, but merely back
out the offending change.

There is some kind test for whether the regression costs more than
the improvements made, but it comes down to a judgement call from
the module owner AIUI.

> Regressions that sit in the tree make it dramatically much harder to
> write and test other patches. It's generally much better to back the
> offending patch out to allow everyone else to go at full speed.

Perhaps it is, but this would be quite a change in process.
Some kind of policy or guidelines would be helpful, or it could
well get out of control.

Backouts usually cause regressions too.