On 2014-10-16, 1:52 PM, Bobby Holley wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com
<mailto:ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I don't think it's reasonable to assume that the person doing the
    backout has the time or the expertise to add a test for the broken
    functionality.

Not the sheriff certainly, but I think if the regression is severe
enough to warrant this action, the product owners (who are generally the
ones who request the backout) can find the resources to make that happen.

Who are the product owners exactly? Usually what happens in these cases is some discussion on IRC, followed by trying to ping the author/reviewer, followed by a backout either by a sheriff or another individual such as myself.

There will be situations where this is unrealistically difficult for one
reason or another. But I'd rather put the onus on the product owners to
ask for that exception, and presumably offer human resources to help the
developer update and test their patch.

Again, I'm not sure who specifically you're referring to as the bearer of this responsibility.

> If a team pulls this card, they
should have a responsibility to help get the patch relanded in a timely
manner.

I disagree. If someone breaks Nightly on desktop for example to an extent where it cannot be used for dogfooding, and I back them out to help out our Nightly users and keep the testing product usable so that other regressions can be caught with it, why should I feel responsible for relanding their patch in a timely manner?