On Wednesday, November 19, 2014 11:12:42 PM UTC+11, Gervase Markham wrote:
> https://letsencrypt.org/ .

When I first saw Let's Encrypt (the very next day after my post) I got excited,
but when I read how it works, I got even more excited. There's still things it
doesn't (seem to) solve (localhost/intranet apps and possibly
internet-of-things as well as CA centralisation), but coupled with good TOFU,
it covers most of the things that matter to the little people of the web.

I still object to carrot-sticking people to use https. We don't carrot-stick
people to use open source, even though many of the key arguments for doing so
would be quite similar.