On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 1:45 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:

> Does Akamai's logo appearing on the Let's Encrypt announcements change
> Akamai's need for OE? (Seems *really* weird if not.)

let's encrypt is awesome - more https is awesome.

The availability of let's encrypt (or something like it) was certainly
taken into consideration in the OE thinking. The idea has been kicking
around for a while from lots of orgs so it was forseeable someone would
pull it off - but huge kudos to our partnership for doing it as that really
is powerful and will help the web. Its also a feather in Mozilla's cap. I'm
really excited about it.

OE plus Let's Encrypt is exactly the manifestation of walking and chewing
gum at the same time that I referred to earlier. We're working hard at this
to improve things on multiple fronts and the ideas are not at odds with
each other.

Ciphertext as the new plaintext is meant to cover situations where people
won't run https. Kudos for let's encrypt helping make that a smaller
market, but it doesn't solve all the use cases of http:// (nor does OE -
but it reaches potentially more of them). These include legacy content and
urls, third-party mixed content, regulatory compliance, CA-risk, non-access
to webpki.

A hosting or CDN provider doesn't control all of those things - especially
the legacy and mixed content. But they can compatibly improve the transport
experience and they're interested in doing that. So to answer your question
without having a partner discussion on dev-platform, the folks interested
in deploying OE foresaw let's encrypt (or something like it) and are still
interested in OE.

There are basically 2 arguments against OE here: 1] you don't need OE
because everyone can run https and 2] OE somehow undermines https

I don't buy them because [1] remains a substantial body of data and [2] is
unsubstantiated speculation and borders on untested FUD.

I understand that google is the loudest voice - yet these realities impact
them as well if you look at their actions on google.com. Google, despite
being the leading industry player in making admirable herculean efforts at
deploying sophisticated https, still also runs lots of http:// services
such as nosslsearch, gstatic, and google-analytics. The cost of a cert
isn't what is holding them back from making those services https only - and
they are the best case scenario for a party being both interested and
capable.

fwiw - nobody would be happier than me if [1] dwindled to 0 and OE was
moot, I just think it will be a super long time in coming and in the
interim we can substitute some of that plaintext with ciphertext and that's
a win for our users.

-P