On Nov 26, 2014, at 6:46, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 10:50 PM, Andreas Gal <andreas....@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Would it make sense to check in some of the libraries we build that we
>> very rarely change, and that don’t have a lot of configure dependencies
>> people twiddle with? (icu, pixman, cairo, vp8, vp9). This could speed up
>> build times in our infrastructure and for developers. This doesn’t have to
>> be in mozilla-central. mach could pick up a matching binary for the current
>> configuration from github or similar. Has anyone looked into this?
>
> This seems like it would speed up first-build and clobber build times, but
> at least
> for me, it's incremental build performance I care about.

Yes, people on this list generally care about C++. However, there is a very
large group - most of the Firefox Team and a large amount of Firefox OS
developers - who don't. To them, C++, libxul, others libs are 10+ minutes of
CPU wall time before they can get to things they care about (JS, CSS, XUL, etc).

I'll reply more later.