On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Chris Peterson <cpeter...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 1/27/15 9:29 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>
>> We keep telling websites to not use the UA string, however we've so
>> far been very bad at asking them why they use the UA string and then
>> create better alternatives for them.
>>
>> Essentially many websites need to do server-side feature detection in
>> order to determine what version of the website to serve. However we
>> expose *very* few client capabilities in the original HTTP request to
>> a website. Essentially only "supports HTML", which clearly isn't
>> terribly useful.
>

> Are there recent studies of which features servers do detect and why? I
> could see arguments for sharing information about mobile devices, touch
> support, and OS.

The WURFL database is very popular. So most likely it carries the data
that most websites need. Sadly it also carries a lot of other, likely
unused data. Like if the browser supports iframes and/or javascript.

I've heard that screen size as well as video decoding capabilities
(not just ability to decode, but the ability to do so at a good
framerate) have been requested for FirefoxOS partners.

I've tried to reach out to facebook and a couple of other sites to
find out what information that they use. However I didn't get any
definitive answers and haven't had the bandwidth to hunt them down for
a real answer.

Definitely something that would be great if someone wanted to take on.

/ Jonas