On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 12:04:25 PM UTC-8, James Burke wrote:
> Is there a place where I can follow the plan for enabling
> document.registerElement for wider web usage? Right now is is only
> available behind an about:config setting or if an app is a certified app.
>
> I am just interested in the machinery for document.registerElement/custom
> elements to be available, and do not need the full web components story
> (for example, do not need HTML Imports).
>
> Reason for asking: we want to try an experimental FxOS email app variant,
> but try delivering it through the marketplace. For that, it is best if the
> app is privileged instead of certified.
>
> We use some custom elements inside the app, so cannot currently go
> privileged. While it would be relatively straightforward for the app to
> move away from using document.registerElement, I would prefer to just leave
> it as-is if document.registerElement was going to be more widely available
> in the FxOS 3.0 timeframe (extra nice if it were to happen in the first
> half of this year).
>
> ---
>
> Originally posted on dev-b2g:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.b2g/CqS5fQt9b-I
>
> but was informed off-list that dev-platform may be a better place to ask
> this question.
>
> James

Hi James,

Recently annevk has been working on reviewing the current specification for
custom elements and we were getting the custom elements implementation to a
state where we would be ready to turn it on once we were satisfied with the
spec. Ideally this would have been near the end of the quarter as we were only
anticipating relatively minor changes but it turns out that the current API
doesn't fit that well with ES6 classes which are just around the corner and
this may require additional work on both the spec and the implementation.

As we currently stand, it's hard to give an estimate for when registerElement
will be widely turned on. Planning will be easier once the spec settles down
and we know what we need to implement (annevk would probably be able to provide
a better estimate for this piece than I could). To follow the recent spec
issues currently in discussion, we have this wiki page:

https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/CustomElements

Once we know what we need to implement, we will have a bug to track progress on
implementation and enabling the feature.

- William