I figured people would like an update.

There were multiple, independent failures in the replication systems (there
are 2 systems that replicate Mercurial to Git).

At least one system wasn't DAG aware. It was effectively using the "tip"
commit of the Mercurial repositories (the most recently committed
changeset) to constitute the Git branch head when it should have been using
the latest commit on the "default" branch. It is a minor miracle this
hasn't broken before, as all anybody needed to do was push to an older head
to create a non-fast-forward push.

The other system got in a really wonky state when processing some merge
commits in mozilla-central. Instead of converting a handful of commits in
the 2nd merge parent, it converted all commits down to Mercurial revision 0
and merged in an unrelated DAG head with tens of thousands of commits! It's
a good thing GitHub rejected a malformed author line, or the gecko-dev
repository would be epically whacky right now and would almost certainly
require a hard reset / force push to correct.

Both systems are replicating Firefox Mercurial commits to Git. And the
SHA-1s need to be consistent between them. We're capable of fixing at least
one of these systems now. But we're hesitant to fix one unless we are
pretty sure both systems agree about SHA-1s. We have obligations with
partners to not force push. And, you don't like force pushing either. So
caution is needed before bringing any system back online.

There is currently no ETA for service restoration. But people are working
on it. I wish I had better news to report.