> 2) UIWorker: some kind of JS worker that receives callbacks during
composition; each callback can take inputs such as time and scroll
position(s) as inputs and can update certain CSS properties (e.g.
transforms, opacity) on elements that the compositor then uses.

How should we explain the CSS effects of UIWorkers? A promising idea is to
extend the Web Animations API to allow adding a new kind of animation
effect to DOM elements --- a UIWorker-controlled effect. Essentially the
UIWorker would then be responsible for computing the output of the timing
function in each frame. The UIWorker could then animate *any* CSS property,
though most property updates would require a round trip through main thread
layout/rendering before they get rendered.

This sounds great from Servo's point of view. I'd like to suggest that we
allow browsers to expand the set of properties that can be set off the main
thread beyond the set that are considered "compositor" or "accelerated"
properties today. (This was my main issue with Google's "AnimationProxy":
it exposed an API tailored only to those properties that could be handled
without a round trip through layout in current browser architectures, but
browser engines that have off-main-thread layout like Servo need not
restrict themselves to those.)

CSS transitions as implemented in my work-in-progress Servo branch go
through a "back door" into layout that allows them to directly poke
property values into the layout data structures without ever looking at the
DOM (i.e. without going through the "front door" of CSS style recalc),
which allows script to run concurrently with all CSS transitions. Since we
went through such pains to make this "back door" work in Servo, it seems
desirable to expose it directly to Web authors, and UIWorker sounds like as
reasonable an approach as any.

Patrick