It does seem to me that popup-blocking isn't a great fit for this list.
AIUI this started from Chrome's intent to start moving "powerful" features
to SSL-only (with this being a first step), and allowing popups doesn't
seem like that kind of feature.

It's also worth noting that our popup blocker is not perfect, and there are
various ways around it. So if a MITM attacker wants to inject popups into a
non-SSL page, they'd presumably just do it in a way that doesn't require
exceptions in the first place.

Justin