On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 5:06:31 PM UTC, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:

> >> Here's a push in case the bugs don't exist in certain builds:
> >> https://treeherder.mozilla.org/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=044e896fc6fa
> >
> > I was looking at the log for a B2G Device Image build (I think it
> > was the one for Nexus 5-L) a few days (less than a week) ago, and it
> > was using gcc 4.8 for the target and gcc 4.6 for the host (assuming
> > I was reading the logs correctly).
> >
> > I point this out because:
> >
> >   (1) the device image build isn't in that try run, and
> >
> >   (2) it's not clear to me that the compiler version checks check
> >       both the target and host compiler versions when cross-compiling
>
> That's a good point.  I don't think we have any checks for the host
> compiler.

I'll admit to knowing nothing about B2G Device Image builds, but I see that
setting the default host compiler is in the instructions on the MDN B2G build
instructions [1].
What are the reasons for this?
The Firefox OS instructions [2] seem to suggest this is only needed for older
versions of B2G.
Are there automated Device Image builders that we will need to get updated?
Do we need to inform partners, who might be using gcc-4.6?

Am I right in thinking that B2G only currently uses up to Gecko 37?
This may explain why we haven't seen a problem, but we might start seeing one
since a merge a week ago.
If we do a patch (for bug 1134487) is on mozilla-inbound and has been requested
for uplift to beta.

[1]
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox_OS/Preparing_for_your_first_B2G_build
[2]