On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 3:06:18 PM UTC-4, Richard Barnes wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 9:50 PM, <imfasterthanneutr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > 1.Setting a date after which all new features will be available only to
> > secure websites
> >
> > I propose the date to be one year after Let's Encrypt is launched, which
> > is about mid-2016.
> >

> I was hoping for something a little sooner, given that we're talking about
> *future* stuff.  But I'm open to discuss.

Fully agree! After reconsidering, now I think mid-2016 is too conservative.
Since the first step is only about limiting new features, no websites will be
broken due to this change. Developers and users don't *have to* do anything
before that date. And we don't have to cooperate with other browsers in
choosing this date, since different browsers already implement different set of
features today. So how about starting with Firefox 41, which will be released
on September 22, 2015?

Actually, it's better to enter phase 1 as soon as possible. People generally
don't complain too much if a feature is not supported from the beginning, but
do complain if the feature is dropped after it is widely used.