On 2015-06-09 5:24 PM, Xidorn Quan wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Mark Côté <mc...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> In a quest to simplify both the interface and the maintenance of
>> bugzilla.mozilla.org, we're looking for features that are of
>> questionable value to see if we can get rid of them.  As I'm sure
>> everyone knows, Bugzilla grew organically, without much of a road map,
>> over a long time, and it experienced a lot of scope bloat, which has
>> made it complex both on the inside and out.  I'd like to cut that down
>> at least a bit if I can.
>>

> That sounds good.

One big hurdle is that *every* feature in Bugzilla has at least one
person who likes it.  Some people are going to have to make sacrifices
if we are to cut down on complexity for the greater good. :)

>> To that end, I'd like to consider the voting feature.  While it is
>> enabled on a quite a few products, anecdotally I have heard
>> many times that it isn't actually useful, that is, votes aren't really
>> being used to prioritize features & fixes.  If your team uses voting,
>> I'd like to talk about your use case and see if, in general, it makes
>> sense to continue to support this feature.
>>

> I'll vote not to remove voting. Although I don't see it is used to
> prioritize features or fixes, I feel it is still a good channel to know
> what users want without letting them spam in comments.

I would ask, then, what the purpose of the feature is.  If we know it
isn't used to make decisions, why use it?  The only thing I can think of
is as a sort of "spam honeypot", to get people to not "+1" or "me too"
bugs, but this seems strange at best and actively misleading at worst.

Mark