On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Nicholas Nethercote <n.netherc...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> > Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 2:16 AM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> >
> > We can mass rewrite the tree. But unless
> > the tools to keep things consistent are easy and painless to use, this
> will
> > add chaos.
>
> Chaos? There are two distinct steps here.
>
> 1. Get the style mostly consistent (e.g. spacing/indentation/bracing
> that erahm mentioned). This is
> probably best done in chunks, e.g. a few directories at a time, rather
> than a single mass rewrite, just because chunks are easier to manage.
>
> 2. Introduce auto-formatting of some kind.
>
> Step 1 is a necessary pre-requisite of 2, but step 1 is useful even if
> 2 doesn't happen.
>
> I also think automated tools probably won't get us meeting the style
> guide perfectly -- e.g. the aforementioned line-length wrapping, and
> can they ensure CamelCaps() function names and aFoo/mFoo/gFoo/sFoo
> variable naming? -- so even if we do step 2 we'll still need some
> style vigilance during reviews, and possibly some manual style fixes
> later. But that's ok, and it would still be a clear improvement over
> the current situation.

Yeah, I've reviewed a bunch of poiru's patches, and the situation in those
files is much better now. Before you'd end up with weird half-styles, and
it was hard to know what you style you should even use in any chunk of
code. Now, it is at least mostly consistent. Certainly, automated tools
enforcing the style would be a big improvment, but just having the style
cleaned up is very nice.