On 16 July 2015 at 01:44, Robert O'Callahan <rob...@ocallahan.org> wrote:

> As long as platforms exist with homescreens and other inventories of
> "installed apps", of which the browser is one, it seems worthwhile to me to
> support adding Web apps to those inventories so they're peers of native
> apps instead of having to go through a level of indirection by launching a
> browser, making them second-class.
>
> We can argue that such platforms shouldn't exist, but we also have to work
> with the reality that they do.

Exactly. We can no longer talk about "merging the web and native" as some
potential future thing that may or may not happen. It is already happening:

   1. Android's Chrome Custom Tabs will keep users in native apps when
   following external hyperlinks
   https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/android/customtabs
   2. Android's App Links will let native apps register to handle a
   particular web URL scope and remove the choice of the user to choose to
   open in the browser instead
   https://developer.android.com/preview/features/app-linking.html
   3. App install banners in Chrome may prompt users to install a web app
   or a native app, and the user may not even be able to tell the difference

https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2015/03/increasing-engagement-with-app-install-banners-in-chrome-for-android?hl=en
   http://www.w3.org/TR/appmanifest/#related_applications-member
   4. Android's App Indexing will surface content from inside Android apps
   in Google results https://developers.google.com/app-indexing/
   5. iOS's "Universal Links", "Smart App Banners" and new search API will
   do much of the same on iOS
   https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/?id=509

This all points towards a future where the web and proprietary app
platforms are so intertwined that users may not even know the difference.
The question is how we respond to that. On Firefox OS we have the freedom
to define the entire experience, but on the other operating systems we
touch we need to accept the reality of the environment that we find
ourselves in. My personal conclusion is that we should react to all of the
above by pushing back in the other direction by:

   1. Helping users discover a web app before they discover its native
   equivalent, whilst browsing and searching the web
   2. Making web content a first class citizen on every OS Firefox touches,
   with a standalone display mode for Firefox
   3. Promoting re-engagement with web content through icons in launchers,
   offline and push notifications
   4. Guiding users to the best of the web through a crowd-sourced,
   community curated guide

The web has some unique advantages over other platforms, but those
advantages are being eroded. It's up to us to prove that the web can still
compete.

Ben