On 17/08/2015 00:53, Adam Moore wrote:
> Seems like this has more to do with the overlay system than XUL
> itself. Losing the ability to add overlays to customize the browser
> chrome would be brutal, and a move away from XUL shouldn't be done at
> the expense of what the ecosystem provides today for people who need
> to customize the browser.

> On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Anne van Kesteren
> <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Philip Chee
>> <philip.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The first question that occurs to me is what is the rationale?
>>> Can we revisit this in 2015 to see if the original reason still
>>> holds?
>>
>> Well, we want to get rid of XUL. I'm not sure it makes much sense
>> to revisit any of its design decisions at this point.

The actual question I wanted to ask is: Are there any objections to me
or some other contributor to make overlays ignore query part as well?

> I think the ignorequery proposal would be really useful -- today,
> these customizations are bypassed if the user adds an arbitrary param
> to the uri, which rarely is what was intended.

After thinking about this for a bit I don't think we need an additional
flag. This is how I think it should work.

overlay foo.xul bar.xul
*1 Overlay code ignores query strings

overlay foo.xul?type=baz bar.xul
*2 Overlay code must match the whole URL including query string.

In the case of (2) the existing behaviour is unchanged.

1a. for overlaid items that don't normally take query strings the
existing behaviour is unchanged.

1b. foo.xul takes a query string but the developer doesn't include the
query string in their overlay. Overlays that didn't get applied now get
applied. But then this is probably what the developer wanted in the
first place.

Phil