On Wed, 2 Sep 2015, at 03:50, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> On 2015-09-01 9:57 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> > But I agree that we should make it clear that we do not intend to
> > implement a request API.
>
> There is actually a valid use case for a request API.  It has become
> clear that we need to expose pasting functionality to the Web, and the
> most natural way of doing so is document.execCommand("paste").  This
> operation however cannot be exposed without permission because of
> privacy reasons.  And this is an API where modifying it to add support
> for requesting permission doesn't make sense.
>
> AFAIK right now the Chrome team is experimenting with creating a
> solution for this use case using the request API.  If they manage to
> come up with a good UX, I think we need to implement it (at least for
> the "paste" permission) as well.

Correct.

I don't want to derail the thread and it should probably be a question
for later but I don't understand why websites shouldn't be able to
request permissions when Notifications allows it, Persistent Storage
(latest version) allows it and for the other API it is possible to
actually write a polyfill to request permissions (eg.
navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(function(){}) actually request
the permission). We are just making web developers life harder by
requiring them to request permission indirectly.

There are other reasons why request() would benefit the platform. For
example, being able to request permission for a feature that is used in
some kind of Workers (where permissions can't be requested). Though,
again, I don't want to derail the thread.

-- Mounir