On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:
> Other browsers don't support this extension, so it clearly can't be a
> requirement for the Web Platform

Generally speaking, I don't think this reasoning is entirely accurate.
We know that there's lots of browser-specific code paths out there, so
just because other browsers don't support a given feature doesn't mean
that removing it from gecko won't affect our users.

Getting telemetry data is generally a better way to go.

That said, I know nothing about the specific encodings involved here,
so maybe there are other reasons to believe that this won't affect our
users.

/ Jonas