On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Jörg Knobloch <jo...@jorgk.com> wrote:
> As far as I see, there are no objections to removing the ISO-2022-JP-2
> variant as long as the ISO-2022-JP is maintained.

Cool. This intent is indeed scoped to the -2 stuff only.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:21 PM, Jonas Sicking <jo...@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi> wrote:
>> Other browsers don't support this extension, so it clearly can't be a
>> requirement for the Web Platform
>
> Generally speaking, I don't think this reasoning is entirely accurate.
> We know that there's lots of browser-specific code paths out there, so
> just because other browsers don't support a given feature doesn't mean
> that removing it from gecko won't affect our users.

What you say is a concern in the general case, yes. In the specific
case of encodings, it is *very* unlikely that sites would serve
ISO-2022-JP-2 on a per-browser basis.

First of all, if a site has the capability to vary the character
encoding of the HTML it generates, that capability has been
fundamentally useless for the past decade: Just use the capability to
generate UTF-8 for everyone and then quit varying the output.

But Web authors (as a collective, no insult to specific clueful Web
authors implied) are known to do fundamentally useless per-browser
things, so maybe the above isn't convincing. Let's consider what a
hypothetical site that server ISO-2022-JP-2 to Firefox would serve to
other browsers:

If the site wanted to use JIS X 0212 characters, it could send EUC-JP
to other browser. But if you can generate EUC-JP, there's no upside to
be had from sending ISO-2022-JP-2 to Firefox. Firefox has had EUC-JP
all this time. There's no reason for anyone to have done this instead
of using EUC-jP for all browsers.

If the site wanted to use Chinese, Korean, Western Latin and Greek
characters alongside Japanese ones, it could send UTF-8 to other
browsers, but again, if you can send UTF-8, just send UTF8 to
everyone, including Firefox.

What if the site sends ISO-2022-JP + numeric character references to
other browsers? This implies the capability to do more complex
re-encoding, since you need Unicode scalars for the NCRs. However, if
the site depended on ISO-2022-JP inheriting into CSS and JS, this
could be a silly fix that just sending UTF-8 would break. But it seems
unlikely that someone is clueful to design for this all the while not
being the sort of author who addresses the problem with UTF-8.

Finally, one might postulate an Emacs MULE user to have created some
content not caring about non-*nix users at the time when "everyone" on
*nix used Gecko. Or an insecurely implemented email-to-Web archives
containing messages sent from Apple's Mail. However, we aren't in the
business of supporting hypothetical Gecko-only fringe content.
(Firefox 43 removes support for the previously Firefox-only
Unicode-at-On feature of Big5, for example.)

> Getting telemetry data is generally a better way to go.

ISO-2022-JP in general affects just 0.05% of Firefox release channel
sessions. It's reasonable to assume the number to be higher for users
who read Japanese and even lower for everyone else. We don't have
telemetry for the -2 subfeature, but it has to by *tiny*. Note that
even the less popular ones of the many Cyrillic legacy encodings
affect a larger proportion of sessions *each* (except KOI8-U).

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 8:24 PM, Adam Roach <a...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/15 09:38, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
> The only known realistic source of ISO-2022-JP-2 data is Apple's Mail
> application under some circumstances, which may impact Thunderbird and
> SeaMonkey.
>

> Does this mean it might interact with webmail services as well?

No, for the reasons others gave. The change would be relevant to the
Gaia email app to the extent it's relevant to anyone at all.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi