On Tuesday, December 1, 2015 at 6:04:30 PM UTC-8, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Oh well. Bummer.
>
> / Jonas

If it cheers you up any, the 2.0 API that replaces the U2F API uses promises -
http://www.w3.org/Submission/2015/SUBM-fido-web-api-20151120/

Richard, it would help if you could clarify - are you proposing that Firefox
implement the 'old and deprecated' U2F API [1], or the 'fresh and new and
hoping to be standards track' W3C member submission API [2].

I originally wanted to reply with 'good news' that Chrome only shipped this for
google.com, and only for HTTPS, and that we were committed to the W3C member
submission as the path forward, but as I was working to back up a citation to
this, I found out that we submarine-launched the API in Chrome 40 [3], for all
HTTP and HTTPS origins, without an Intent to Implement / Intent to Ship.

So, speaking solely on my behalf and not that of my employer, sorry that Chrome
put Firefox in this position of "old and busted" and "new hotness", with
"damned either way" as the result. I'm trying to find out more about this, as
well as Chrome and Chromium's future commitments regarding this API.

That said, knowing full well that the FIDO Alliance intends the W3C member
submission to the path forward, could you provide greater clarity:
1) What it is you intend to implement?
2) If you intend to implement [1], whether or not you'll unship that if/as/when
[2] progresses?

[1]
https://fidoalliance.org/specs/fido-u2f-v1.0-nfc-bt-amendment-20150514/fido-u2f-javascript-api.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/Submission/2015/SUBM-fido-web-api-20151120/