On Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Frederic Martin <fredletaman...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > There are probably other questions Mozilla Core Team should ask to
> > > themselves :
> > >
> > > - Having a greater/larger HID Support, outside the FIDO U2F scope ?
> > > (This allows web services to communicate with HID devices - i.e.
> > > that's how some cryptocurrencies hardware wallets are using HID
> > > Chrome interface)
> > >

> > Are you thinking of something like WebUSB?
> > (https://reillyeon.github.io/webusb/)? This is something we've looked at
> > a bit but we're still trying to wrap our heads around the security
> > implications.
>
> No. I am thinking about something like:
> https://developer.chrome.com/apps/hid
> but that's outside the pure FIDO U2F scope: it is a reminder that Chrome
> already allows wep pages/JS to communicate with HID non-U2F device and
> that Mozilla will have to chose on their side if the HID API will be
> restricted to U2F usage or not.

I believe the plan is to have that be the case for now.

> > - Have TLS Channel ID Binding support. (Oh, this is really important)
> > > When you'll check FIDO U2F specifications, you'll see that TLS Channel
> > > ID Binding is an important part of the security against attacks like
> > > SSL Proxy and similar MITM attacks. This part is not mandatory. But
> > > Google servers are using this and Chrome supports it. So... please
> > > REALLY consider implementing it: it will bring higher security and
> > > probably will give a chance too in the future to be accepted as a
> > > supported browser on Google servers (I am not from Google so I can't
> > > speak on their behalf but this should be a rational requirements
> there).
> > > This is the only way to provide a full anti-phishing solution.
> > >

> > My understanding is that Channel ID is being superseded by token binding
> > (https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/tokbind/charter/), so if we do
> > something in this area, it's more likely we would do token binding
> > than channel ID,
> > I expect.
>
> Hi, I don't think this is exactly something that you can freely chose...
> As you read FIDO U2F specifications, you'll see that added security is
> provided by TLS channel binding.
>
> Search "Channel Binding" inside
>
> https://fidoalliance.org/specs/fido-u2f-v1.0-nfc-bt-amendment-20150514/fido-glossary.html
> and again here
>
> https://fidoalliance.org/specs/fido-u2f-v1.0-nfc-bt-amendment-20150514/fido-security-ref.html

I know what Channel Bindings are, but they're different from Channel ID
(though Channel ID *uses* Channel Bindings). But as I said, Channel ID
is Google-specific sauce. The IETF token binding working group
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/tokbind/charter/) is standardizing the
next generation of this technology. Given that, my instinct is to wait
for the standard.

-Ekr