On 12/13/15 12:50 AM, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 9:17 AM, Cameron Kaiser <ckai...@floodgap.com> wrote:

This would essentially mandate, then, that Gecko can only be built on
platforms with a Rust toolchain. That may be desirable, but it would
probably bust some of the obscure Tier-3 platforms and it would definitely
bust TenFourFox (we can't even get clang to be happy on 10.4 currently). Not
that we haven't been on borrowed time for awhile; I just point it out for
the record.

I've been wondering about this. There's a big difference between (a)
permitting Rust components (while still allowing fallback C++
equivalents) and (b) mandating Rust components.

Step (a) is close at hand but I'm not aware of any planning or
predictions for when (b) will happen. The most detail I've seen was in
an exchange I had on Hackers News [1] where I said "it feels like
something that is multiple years away" and pcwalton replied "I agree
with you on the probable time frame here."

[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10522194

On the other hand, in that same thread, metajack said, "The current plan is to have Rust (in the form of rust-url replacing nsUrlParser) riding the trains later this quarter."

My usual genial scepticism alleges "this quarter" is optimistic, but I can well see it occurring Q1/Q2 2016. I did some Bugzilla digging and while the current plan in bug 1151899 is to run them in parallel, I foresee that lasting at most a release or two. That said, there hasn't been any activity on it since April.

Cameron Kaiser