On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 at 2:38:43 PM UTC-6, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> On 2015-12-28 5:11 PM, Jim Mathies wrote:
> > We could research using native spell checking apis if the platform supports
> > them. For example Windows added spell checking apis in Windows 8.
>
> It's not obvious to me why that would be an improvement.  The
> cross-platform nature of our spell checking engine is definitely a plus.

- no dictionary maintenance overhead for Mozilla
- I'm guessing a better, more robust dictionary in general
- a database that is standardized across multiple applications (including
custom dictionary settings) for the same system
- less data in our install.. it might only amount to kilobytes, but when you
multiply that by millions of downloads it adds up.

It's not obvious to me what an open source database engine provides for us. Can
our current engine support 3rd party data providers? That's really what we want
to do here.