SSE2 is always available in 64bit CPUs, it's included in the AMD64 specification. So I'd be surprised if compilers didn't automatically use SSE2 for 64bit targets.

Another interesting data point is that Windows 8.1 doesn't work without SSE2 [1],
but I guess most people that use Windows 8.1 have a 64bit CPU.

[1] http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/what-is-pae-nx-sse2

- Marco.