On 03/17/2016 11:59 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
Do we have a plan being executed to make sure that when Gecko
components written in Rust ship on the release channel in
Mozilla-produced builds the also ship in the Firefox packages of
various Linux distributions?

If not, we really need to put such a plan in place, since it would be
bad to have a conflict between our ability to reach Linux users and
our ability to benefit from Rust quickly.

My concern is that Linux distributions tend to have a policy that
binary packages have to be buildable from source packages using the
tools that are available in the package repository of the distro.
Considering the current state of rustc availability in distro
repositories, it seems to me that we are headed towards a problem.

As far as I can tell, of the well-known distributions only Arch and
openSUSE have the current rustc in their package repositories (and the
openSUSE packages are categorized as "unstable"). Debian has it in
unstable and testing only. Gentoo is a couple of rustc releases out of
date. Ubuntu and Fedora don't have any version of rustc anywhere at
all.

At least in the case of Fedora, just shipping a rustc binary alongside
the Firefox source is explicitly not good enough for their policy:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#No_inclusion_of_pre-built_binaries_or_libraries

Yes, that's not possible in Fedora - we have similar problem with pre-built signed extensions from AMO.

Is it possible to build Rust from sources before Firefox build executes? That may be a solution for now and it ensures that the Rust is always up to date.

ma.