On 04/08/2016 10:38 AM, Jip de Beer wrote:
> I didn't manage to dump the Frame Tree using lldb... I followed these guides:
[...]
> I tried with Firefox, FirefoxDeveloperEdition and the nightly build (ran lldb
> from Terminal as well as Xcode).
> I was able to attach lldb to the browser, but not output a Frame Tree dump.
> The code for the nightly build was unmodified. When I tried to define
> DEBUG_FRAME_DUMP in layout/generic/nsFrameList.h (by uncommenting a block of
> code) the build failed.

Please report that build failure as a bug with more details!  We likely
are accidentally intermixing assumptions about #ifdef DEBUG and #ifdef
DEBUG_FRAME_DUMP or something

Anyway -- as it seems you noticed, our frametree-dumping code is guarded
by that exact #define -- DEBUG_FRAME_DUMP -- which means the code is not
present in any of the builds that you tested. (Firefox, Nightly,
DevEdition.)  So, the code is only present in debug builds, or builds
with MOZ_DUMP_PAINTING enabled at compile-time.

Your best bet is probably to:
 (1) Build or download a debug version of Firefox. (If you build it
yourself, put ac_add_options --enable-debug in your .mozconfig. Or, you
can download a debug build from today at
http://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/tinderbox-builds/mozilla-central-macosx64-debug/1460109722/
)

 (2) Start the layout debugger (Tools|Layout Debugger) -- this menu
option is only present in debug builds.

 (3) Load whatever site you want in the tiny layout-debugger browser
that appears (with minimal-UI)

 (4) Dump the frame tree (to your terminal) using Dump|Frames in the
layout debugger window.

~Daniel