On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Frédéric Wang <fred.w...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le 01/05/2016 02:16, smaug a écrit :
>> What would source view for mathml look like if we removed
>> nsIEntityConverter?
>
> AFAIK, the only point is to replace things like "&#x2211;" with "&Sum;"
> in order to make it more readable. However, with appropriate fonts
> installed I think reading "∑" is also fine.

Yes, and if someone wants to special-case &InvisibleTimes; and
&InvisibleComma;, special-casing two characters takes less space than
the entire entity tables.

As for the size question, the data tables take 2336 bytes in omni.ja
plus the zip directory overhead plus the C++ code that enables the use
of these tables.

> Le 30/04/2016 12:25, Henri Sivonen a écrit :
>>  In desktop Firefox, these data tables are used only for the
>> MathML View Source feature.
>
> Personally, I don't really use this feature, as I find the DOM inspector
> or the "MathML Copy" add-on (*) more convenient to check or copy a
> MathML formula.
>
> I guess we can move this feature from the Desktop front-end to a
> separate Add-on (that could potentially work on mobile too in the
> future). However, I can't speak for the users. Maybe we should write to
> the Math WG mailing list in order to get more feedback.
>
> (*) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/mathml-copy/

Even if someone uses the current feature, special handling for
examining MathML seems like something that should be in an extension.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi