On 02/09/16 10:37, Gijs Kruitbosch wrote:
On 02/09/2016 08:08, Henrik Skupin wrote:

The problematic piece here will be the package-tests step which
currently picks complete subfolders. It would mean if we mix-up tests
for firefox-ui-tests and eg. mochitests all would end-up twice in the
common.tests.zip archive. If we want to get away from using subfolders
we would have to improve the test archiver
(https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/python/mozbuild/mozbuild/action/test_archive.py)

first to not only collect the directories of referenced manifests, but
also only pick those tests which are referenced and leave all others
behind. This would apply to all test suites currently covered by this
mozbuild action.

I am not familiar with this bit of our build architecture, but as far as
I can tell from a quick look it builds bits of the zipfile off the
objdir. So it collects mochitests from $OBJDIR/_tests/testing/mochitest,
where (again, AFAICT) things get installed via manifests.

We should be doing the same for firefox-ui tests. Not just to avoid
duplication of files in archives, but because otherwise, if we want to
add new tests somewhere else, we both have to add the manifests to the
build system and then modify this build system python file to make sure
they get included in the test archive. That would be wrong.

In the medium term we are trying to move away from requiring the package-tests step in favour of being able to run tests directly from a checkout. Therefore I suggest we avoid adding unnecessary dependencies on the objdir.