On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Gerald Squelart <squel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Following your instructions, rustc and friends are in ~/.cargo/bin, and I've
> added that path in my $PATH.
>
> But now, `./mach build` gives me:
>   force-cargo-build
>   env: /usr/local/bin/cargo: No such file or directory
> [...]
> Sym-linking rustc from /usr/local/bin worked, but it feels wrong!

That does seem wrong. So you have rustc and cargo in ~/.cargo/bin, but
it was looking in /usr/local/bin instead? Was there a
/usr/local/bin/rustc previously? What does `which cargo` print?

> After that, building works, but shows some scary bold text:
>   note: link against the following native artifacts when linking against this
> static library
>   note: the order and any duplication can be significant on some platforms,
> and so may need to be preserved
>   note: library: System
>   note: library: c
>   note: library: m
>
> What's with that?

The rust compiler prints this out whenever it generates a static
library, to remind you to link the dependencies into the final target.
We do that (XUL has the same dependencies) but I agree the `note`
output is distracting. I wrote a patch to suppress this by writing it
to a file instead, but didn't get it to an acceptable state to land.
If someone wants to un-bitrot it and add tests, I think that would be
the best way to resolve this.
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/31471

Thanks for sharing your results,
 -r