On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Ted Mielczarek <t...@mielczarek.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 06:03 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> Does that mean that crates under third_party/rust/ are going to have
>> their entire histories imported in the future? Currently, they only
>> have vendoring-time snapshots.
>
> I'm unaware of any plans to do this. I'd expect us to have a distinction
> between:
> 1) Crates where Mozilla is the primary author but the repository of
> record is somewhere else like GitHub (like Servo).

(I'm writing a crate that I expect to be categorized like this in the
future, which is why I'm interested.)

> These will probably
> be vendored specially into somewhere other than third_party/rust as
> Servo is. There are other non-Rust projects that want this as well, such
> as Azure (the graphics library) and devtools.
> 3) Crates where Mozilla is not the primary author, pulled in as
> dependencies from crates.io. These will continue to be vendored into
> third_party/rust. Note that crates.io currently doesn't require crates
> to specify a VCS repository or revision or anything like that, so I'm
> not sure it's completely tractable to vendor these dependencies with
> full history anyway.

Most crates currently under third_party/rust/ are already show at
least one Mozilla employee as a co-owner on crates.io (and, I'm
guessing, primary author), so at present, we've already used process
for category #3 for crates that arguably are category #1.

I'm unconvinced that it makes sense to distinguish between category #1
and category #3 in terms of placement in the m-c directory structure
on people org chart grounds. I can see a technical case for placing
history-imported and history-not-imported crates differently in the
m-c directory structure, though, but it's not immediately obvious (to
me) that people org chart situation should be the deciding factor in
whether it's worthwhile to import the history of a given crate.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi