On Tuesday 2017-02-07 21:33 -0800, Bill McCloskey wrote:
> I spent about an hour tonight trying to debug a test failure, and I'm
> writing this email in frustration at how difficult it is. It seems like the
> process has actually gotten a lot worse over the last few years (although
> it was never good). Here's the situation I ran into:

Another aspect of debugging test failures that has gotten worse
recently:

 * If you have an intermittent that's actually affecting the tree,
   it's become harder to see the range of TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL
   messages that are occurring.  These used to be present in the
   comments that tbplbot made on bugs, but now it requires following
   a link for each log in the orangefactor interface.  (Having this
   range was useful to me today in fixing 1159532, although clicking
   through to 6 logs was sufficient to help understand the problem.)

   This also makes it much harder to tell if bugs are being
   mis-classified (e.g., two different problems being starred into
   one bug).

(I thought the point of structured logging was to make it easier to
get this sort of data.)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,