Sent from my iPad
> On Mar 1, 2017, at 1:32 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 3/1/17 3:50 PM, kgilb...@mozilla.com wrote:
>> As of March 1, 2017 I intend to turn WebVR on by default on Windows.
>
> So flip the pref on Windows only, right?
Yes, flipping pref on only for Windows.  Later, we will be adding support for
Linux and Android. OpenVR support for Linux is in Beta -- I would like to see
Linux support come next, in Firefox 55.

> If there is no VR hardware, is the idea that navigator.getVRDisplays()
> returns a promise resolving to an empty array?
Exactly.  In addition, our implementation waits until either a WebVR API is
called or a WebVR event listener is added before polling underlying API's for
devices.

>> Link to standard: https://w3c.github.io/webvr/archive/prerelease/1.1/
>
> It's a bit worrying to me that this spec is not written down in sufficient
> detail to be implemented interoperably [1].  How confident are we that what
> the other browsers are shipping matches what we're shipping?  Are there web
> platform tests?
We have worked directly with the other WebVR platform implementers to ensure
compatibility.  We have regularly scheduled video calls and F2F meetings to
improve the spec and remove any ambiguity.  We have formed a W3C community
working group.

 A growing number of libraries and sites, including A-Frame, three.js,
SketchFab, PlayCanvas, and React-VR, already support WebVR and work
cross-platform.

Automated web platform testing support is landing imminently with Bug 1323328.
Other UA vendors have expressed interest in sharing conformance tests, inspired
by WebGL's conformance suite.

> -Boris
>
> [1]  For example, what does the VRFrameData constructor actually do? The spec
> doesn't define it at all.  Where is the VRPose inside supposed to come from?
> What values will it contain?  I filed https://github.com/w3c/webvr/issues/195
> on this, but note that I've spent all of about 5 minutes skimming the spec
> and ran into this.  I have _not_ done a careful read looking for possible
> interop problems...

VRFrameData is described as receiving the output of the VRDisplay.getFrameData
function:

https://w3c.github.io/webvr/archive/prerelease/1.1/#dom-vrdisplay-getframedata

Thanks for all your feedback!