On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 1:53:48 PM UTC-5, Marco Bonardo wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 6:42 PM, Joel Maher <jma...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank for pointing that out.  In some cases we have fixed tests that are
> > just timing out, in a few cases we disable because the test typically runs
> > much faster (i.e. <15 seconds) and is hanging/timing out.  In other cases
> > extending the timeout doesn't help (i.e. a hang/timeout).
> >

> Any failure like "This test exceeded the timeout threshold. It should be
> rewritten or split up. If that's not possible, use requestLongerTimeout(N),
> but only as a last resort" is not a failure nor a timeout.
> For these cases extending the timeout will 100% solve the failure, but it
> can't be considered a long term fix since we should not have single tests
> so complex to take minutes to run.

Thanks for checking up on this- there are 6 specific bugs that have this
signature in the disabled set- in this case they are all linux32-debug devtools
tests- we disabled devtools on linux32-debug because the runtime was exceeding
in many cases 90 seconds for a test (that is after adding requestLongerTimeout)
where on linux64-debug it was <30 seconds.  There were almost no users on
linux32-debug for devtools, so we found it easier to disable the entire suite
of tests to save runtime, sheriff time, etc.  This was done in bug 1328915.

I would encourage you to look through the [stockwell fixed] whiteboard tag and
see many examples of great fixes by many developers.