On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 7:44 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:

> On 3/21/17 6:41 PM, Jeff Gilbert wrote:
>
>> JSON allows comments if all the JSON processors we use handle comments. :)
>>

> JSON.parse in JS does not.
>
> The Python "json" module does not as far as I can tell.
>
> What JSON processors are you thinking of?
>
> -Boris
>
> P.S.  The Python "json" module is most relevant here, since it's the thing
> actually being used to deal with MANIFEST.json.

Fun fact: lots of JSON documents also evaluate as Python data structures.
So if you prepend "foo = <JSON>" and throw that into eval(), you can
magically evaluate a JSON document into a Python variable. Of course,
eval() is a security concern. But people blindly execute code in
mozilla-central (like the build system) all the time. So perhaps this is
tolerable.