On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Jeff Muizelaar <jmuizel...@mozilla.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@hsivonen.fi>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > dlopening libvoikko, if installed, and having thin C++ glue code
>> > in-tree seems much simpler, except maybe for sandboxing. What are the
>> > sandboxing implications of dlopening a shared library that will want
>> > to load its data files?
>>
>> My understanding is that the spell checker mostly lives in the Chrome
>> process so it seems sandboxing won't be a problem.
>

> That is mostly correct.  The spell checker *completely* lives in the parent
> process and is completely unaffected by sandboxing.
>
> But that's actually a problem.  My understanding is that WebExtensions won't
> be allowed to load code in the parent process.  Bill, Kris, is that correct?
> If yes, we should work with the maintainers of the Finnish and Greenlandic
> dictionaries on adding custom support for loading their code...

But when (according to doing a Google Web search excluding mozilla.org
and wading through all the results and by searching the JS for all
AMO-hosted extensions) the only out-of-tree spell checkers use
libvoikko, why involve Web Extensions at all? Why wouldn't we dlopen
libvoikko and put a thin C++ adapter between libvoikko's C API and our
internal C++ interface in-tree? That would be significantly simpler
than involving Web extensions.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi