On 2017-03-24 4:20 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Jeff Muizelaar <jmuizel...@mozilla.com>
>> wrote:

>>> My understanding is that the spell checker mostly lives in the Chrome
>>> process so it seems sandboxing won't be a problem.
>>

>> That is mostly correct.  The spell checker *completely* lives in the parent
>> process and is completely unaffected by sandboxing.
>>
>> But that's actually a problem.  My understanding is that WebExtensions won't
>> be allowed to load code in the parent process.  Bill, Kris, is that correct?
>> If yes, we should work with the maintainers of the Finnish and Greenlandic
>> dictionaries on adding custom support for loading their code...
>
> But when (according to doing a Google Web search excluding mozilla.org
> and wading through all the results and by searching the JS for all
> AMO-hosted extensions) the only out-of-tree spell checkers use
> libvoikko, why involve Web Extensions at all? Why wouldn't we dlopen
> libvoikko and put a thin C++ adapter between libvoikko's C API and our
> internal C++ interface in-tree? That would be significantly simpler
> than involving Web extensions.

Is that different than what I suggested above in some way that I'm
missing?  I think it's better to engage the developers of those
libraries first and ask them how they would like us to proceed.  At any
rate, something has to change on their side, since after Firefox 57
presumably Firefox would just ignore their XPI file or something.  The
actual implementation mechanism would probably end up being the
dlopening that you're suggesting, but if we're going to be signing up to
doing that, we better have at least a communication channel with the
authors of those libraries in case for example we need to change
something on our interface some day.