A message from a poor duped user here:

I have 4 computers, only 1 runs Pulseaudio. Pulseaudio simply doesn't work or
work well on 2 of them and the third running bare Alsa have a Sound Blaster
Audigy with hardware mixing that would be abstracted away by Pulseaudio, so
Pulseaudio is undesired here.

I read the comments about Alsa being unmaintained. The way I see it from an
user point of view:
- ALSA is the official Linux audio API
- Pulseaudio is a popular, but optional, add-on package
- An application supporting ALSA works on all systems, including systems with
Pulseaudio
- An application supporting Pulseaudio only works with Pulseaudio

Therefore if you can't maintain ALSA support, as I see it, you are doing a poor
job support Linux. The ALSA API isn't rocket science either, so if attempt to
look at it from a developer point of view, I don't see much hassle as well.

Best regards,

Daniƫl Mantione