On 4/25/17 1:07 PM, Alexander Surkov wrote:
I bet there's always room for improvements, and I hope this was a counterpoint
for the example only, not for the bug organization approach.

Sort of.

It was a counterpoint to "just check the bug; all the info is there". Often it's not there, or not there in usable form.

If people included a summary of the discussion in the bug right about when they commit, or had bugs that actually explained what's going on clearly. I would be a lot more OK with the "check the bug" approach.

Overall it feels with me that long comments vs check-the-bug is rather
different styles

To be clear, I don't think commit messages need to be _long_. They need to be _useful_. A commit message pointing to a particular bug comment that explains all the ins and outs is no worse, from my point of view, than a commit message that explains the ins and outs.

The problem I started this thread to address is things like a commit message that says "flip this bit" and references a bug entitled "flip this bit", with no explanation of what the bit does or why it should be flipped. I hope we can all agree that _that_ is not OK. And it's far too common.

-Boris