On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 1:38:18 PM UTC-7, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> I'm responding at the top of the thread here so that I'm not singling out any
> particular response.
>
> We didn't make clear in this process how much work Mark and his team did
> ahead of the decision to gather feedback from senior engineers on both Selena
> and my teams, and how deeply committed the directors have been in their
> support of this change.
>
> Seeing a need for more modern patch reviewing at Mozilla, Laura Thomson's
> team did an independent analysis of the most popular tools available on the
> market today.  Working with the NSS team to pilot their selected tool, they
> found that Phabricator is a good fit for our development approach
> (coincidentally a good enough fit that the Graphics team was also piloting
> Phabricator in parallel).  After getting the support of the Engineering
> directors, they gathered feedback from senior engineers and managers on the
> suggested approach, and tweaked dates and features to match up with our
> release cycles more appropriately.

The problem is this hasn't been transparent. It was announced as an edict, and
I don't remember seeing any public discussion beforehand. If senior engineers
were consulted, it wasn't many of them - and the only person I know who was,
was consulted after the decision was made.

I've contributed thousands of patches over many years and haven't really seen
an explanation of how this change will make my development process easier.
Maybe it will, or maybe it won't. It probably won't be a big deal because this
kind of tooling is not really what makes development hard. I don't spend most
of my day figuring out how to get a changeset from one place to another.

The fact is that no one really asked us beforehand, "What would make
development easier?" We're just being told that Phabricator will. That's why
people are skeptical.