> On Jul 15, 2017, at 23:36, Gabriele Svelto <gsve...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> On 14/07/2017 05:39, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> I should note that with GitHub what this means is that you get
>> discussion on the PR that should have gone in the issue, with the result
>> that people following the issue don't see half the relevant discussion.
>> In particular, it's common to go off from "reviewing this line of code"
>> to "raising questions about what the desired behavior is", which is
>> squarely back in issue-land, not code-review land.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve that problem without
>> designating a "central point where all discussion happens" and ensuring
>> that anything outside it is mirrored there...
>
> Yeah, we frequently had that problem with Gaia issues as part of Firefox
> OS. Reviews were done on GitHub's PR so the bugzilla entries were often
> empty (even for bugs with huge, complex patch-sets). To gather any kind
> of information one had to go and check the comments on the PR itself
> which not only was less-than-optimal but made life a lot harder for
> those not directly involved with development.

If the bug is only serving as an anchor to track code review, then the question
we should be asking is "do we even need a bug."

I've explored this a bit in
https://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2015/01/16/bugzilla-and-the-future-of-firefox-development/.
 That post was written 2.5 years ago. If you replace "MozReview" with
"Phabricator," many of the points I made are still relevant. We're just taking
a drastically different path. Also, it was written very early in MozReview's
development and reflected more of a long term workflow we wanted to enable. It
became apparent that many things would not be easily achievable or were not
reasonable at that time. That's why we dropped/paused many of the more drastic
ideas. Making the decision to decouple review from issue tracking with
Phabricator brings many of them back to the table.