On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:11 PM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
> The W3C is proposing a new charter for:
>
>   Web Commerce Interest Group
>   https://www.w3.org/2017/03/commerce-charter.html
>   https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2017Jul/0008.html

Context: while technically with a new name "Commerce", this is the
replacement/follow-on for the existing Web Payments Interest Group
(Payments IG) which expires around the same time Commerce IG is to
start.

https://www.w3.org/2014/04/payments/webpayments_charter.html

The chairs are the same set of three people.

And while W3C's HTML diff tool has limitations, it does seem that most
of the charter is dramatically different:

http://services.w3.org/htmldiff?doc1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2014%2F04%2Fpayments%2Fwebpayments_charter.html&doc2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2017%2F03%2Fcommerce-charter.html

> Mozilla has the opportunity to send support, comments, or objections
> through Monday, August 28.  If this is work that we want to see
> happen at W3C, we should explicitly support it; if there are things
> we think should be different about the charter, this is the time to
> say so.
>
> Please reply to this thread if you think there's something we should
> say as part of this charter review, or if you think we should
> support or oppose it.

One glaring difference is that the previous/current Payments IG has a
long "Dependencies and Liaisons" section, while the Commerce IG has
none (not even an explicit "liason" with the Web Payments Working
Group), that seems like an odd omission.

I'd like to hear feedback from Marcos (cc'd) on how/why this group
will complement or help our work in the Web Payments WG (does not seem
to be addressed by the proposed Commerce IG charter).

Thanks,

Tantek