> On Jul 20, 2017, at 3:07 AM, Marcos Caceres <mcace...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tantek,
>
> bcc: Ian Jacobs, who is the W3C Team contact and activity lead.
>
> On July 18, 2017 at 9:58:40 AM, Tantek Çelik (tan...@cs.stanford.edu) wrote:
>> I'd like to hear feedback from Marcos (cc'd) on how/why this group
>> will complement or help our work in the Web Payments WG (does not seem
>> to be addressed by the proposed Commerce IG charter).
>
> I think it's great if that group goes off to collect use cases and
> requirements - we have a good 2-5 year gap between seeing adoption of
> just "basic-card" and possibly some custom payment solutions (via the
> Payment Handler API). So, the IG can collect requirements and
> eventually bring them back to the WG.

Yes, the IG is designed to gather use cases and some high-level requirements,
then endeavor to spawn work (either in a CG or a WG) to add missing Web
capabilities to address those use cases.

In practice, it is not clear to me that the IG is expecting to bring new
requirements
to an already chartered Working Group (for reasons of charter scope).

However, the Web Payments IG is interested, for example, in the secure
application of Payment Request API and there’s a task force interested in
organizing some security reviews of the specifications (as part of CR).

> It seems like an oversight that the charter doesn't say they would
> collaborate with the Web Payment WG - as eventually, whatever they do
> find, the WG will potentially standardize. We could simply point that
> out (hi Ian!), but I honestly just think it was an oversight because
> there is so much overlap with the folks from both groups.

It is true that there is no outright mention of the Web Payments Working Group.

While I do not think the IG will be bringing new technical requirements to that
WG or other WGs (since the technical work goes on primarily in the WGs
themselves),
there are opportunities for collaboration, including:

 * Specification reviews
 * Helping to communicate the deliverables of the WG, including to other
payments
   organizations that benefit from learning about the WG deliverables.
 * Helping to bring new participants to the WG.

Here are a couple of change ideas:

* Change "• Review work: Review of deliverables from other groups.”
            to "• Review work: Review of deliverables from other groups
(including the Web Payments Working Group).”

* Change "Communication of W3C activities related to Commerce to the broader
community”
           to "Communication of Working Group deliverables and other W3C
activities related to Commerce to the broader community”

Comments welcome,

Ian

--
Ian Jacobs <i...@w3.org>