David, others,

Le 26 juil. 2017 à 17:58, David Teller <dtel...@mozilla.com> a écrit :
> moz-prefixing makes it clear that the feature can be absent on some
> browsers.

vendor prefixes were of a good intent, an idea of a safe space to explore a
technology without breaking stuff in the real world (aka pharmaceutical lab)
but it didn't work. Probably because pharmaceutical labs are closed worlds
(because patents, economic interests, policies aka social structures).

Browsers live in an open world were we expose what we do. This changes a lot of
things.

One of them is market forces. Vendor prefixes would be less terrible if all
browsers had equal market shares (read here "unintentional power to modify the
ecosystem" just to assume the best in everyone). As soon as some people are
willing to adopt one of the browser "lab-style-features" in the open, because
well it solves their issues and plays well with the ecosystem market shares,
the vendor prefix strategy is falling apart for everyone else. It makes even
things worse on a long term.

Be open as much as possible.
Draft specifications for things you think are interesting for the world. If
something is really good for Gecko, it might be good for others. Don't compete
on the uniqueness of your features, but on the excellency of your features.

(just some thoughts from a 6+ years, and counting, webcompat frontline)

--
Karl Dubost, mozilla 💡 Webcompat
http://www.la-grange.net/karl/moz