On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Till Schneidereit <
t...@tillschneidereit.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Julian Seward <jsew...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> > On 13/08/17 03:40, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> > > As you may have heard by now, Chromium has started to switch their
> > Windows
> > > builds to use clang-cl instead of MSVC [1].  This has improved their
> > > Speedometer v2 benchmark score on x86 (but not on x86-64) by about 30%
> > > according to AWFY [2].  [..]
> >
> > Do we have any insight into why the Clang version is so much faster?
> > 30% strikes me as a large difference for two supposedly mature optimizing
> > compilers.  And stranger still that it applies only for the 32-bit case.
> > So I'm curious to know what's changed.
> >

> AFAICT, the real change is about 19%: shortly before the jump to ~103,
> their score regressed from 86 to 78. I think using 86 as the baseline makes
> much more sense. 19% is obviously still a substantial improvement from a
> compiler change.

Google ran a bisect on the regression and improvements.  Here is some
explanation of the regression:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=749359#c4

The comment suggests that the change would see an improvement in clang
since the code would then use class "overflow builtins".

Its hard to tell if all of the clang-on-windows improvement is due to this
same set of code or not.

The bisects were run from this issue:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=750672#c12

Ben