On Mon, Aug 14, 2017, at 04:36 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> > * Performance: We switched from msvc+pgo to clang without pgo and got
> > comparable perf. We did have to use an order file (/order: flag to
> > link.exe) to get comparable startup perf.
> That is very interesting!  This is one of the aspects that we have been
> worried about a lot.  We should probably also think about using /order
> as well.

It seems plausible that we could use our existing PGO build steps to
capture the proper ordering and then re-link using that as input to
/order. We already instrument the order of access of omni.ja entries
during that step and use that to produce an optimized omni.ja in the
second build pass.

> > *Debuggability: Basically works, see blockers of https://crbug.com/636111
> > for in-progress work. link.exe can produce pdbs with clang's codeview debug
> > info.
> Wow, it looks like things have improved quite a bit on this front since
> the last time I looked at this closely.  Really impressive work!
> > -Z7 and -Zi are aliased to each other in clang-cl, we don't do mspdbsrv)
> I think this should be sufficient for Firefox's needs as well.

We already build all of our non-PGO Windows builds with -Z7 for
compatibility with sccache anyway:
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/b95b1638db48fc3d450b95b98da6bcd2f9326d2f/build/mozconfig.cache#137

-Ted