I wonder if this isn't (in large part) a design problem disguised as a
behavior problem.  The existing try syntax (even with try chooser) is so
finicky and filled with abbreviations that even after years of working with
it, I still regularly have to look up stuff and sometimes when I've been in
a hurry, I've done something more general than I really needed because it
was just too painful to figure out the exact thing.

I'd be pretty surprised if developers newer to the mozilla infrastructure
than I didn't end up doing this sort of thing substantially more frequently.

https://ahal.ca/blog/2017/mach-try-fuzzy/ seems like a fine step in the
right direction, and maybe that'll be enough.

But I do wonder if the path to saving substantial time and money in the
long run is to invest some real user-research / UX / design time into
designing a try configurator where it requires effort to do the
unnecessarily expensive thing, as opposed to the current situation, where
it requires effort to avoid the expensive thing.

​Dan​