> On Oct 22, 2017, at 3:35 AM, smaug <sm...@welho.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/21/2017 11:45 PM, Yura Zenevich wrote:
>> I would also like to bring to the team's attention another force worth
>> being on the radar (in terms of "forces on the system") - accessibility.
>> One theme that seems to consistently happen with re-writes such as the ones
>> from xul to React is regressions in terms of accessibility of newly
>> re-written components.

Thanks, I’ve submitted a PR to the plan to add this point.

> Yeah, this is important. I would imagine custom elements in XUL (which might
> then internally use shadow DOM too) would implement the same
> a11y interfaces what XBL implements now.

I agree - if we migrate the logic inside of bindings (i.e. formatAccessKey on
<label>) and continue to use XUL Elements this should limit the risk of
regressions. Two places we should take a closer look at:

1) Ensure that anonymous XBL content is not somehow handled differently from an
accessibility standpoint compared to normal DOM children in a Custom Element
(or content inside Shadow DOM)
2) We may need to emulate the [role] attribute on a binding definition, which
does map to some accessibility code. Do we need to change the way we create the
appropriate Accessible class for Custom Elements? It does look at
XBLBindingRole as a way to choose which role to assign (i.e. role=”xul:toolbar”
on the binding definition). For Custom Elements, it may be easier to use tag
names to determine the role, or somehow store it in the custom element registry
to avoid setting a ‘role’ attribute on each node during the connectedCallback.
**
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/69e24c678a28dc46a4c1bda3ff04b2f6106ff71a/toolkit/content/widgets/button.xml#12
**
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/69e24c678a28dc46a4c1bda3ff04b2f6106ff71a/accessible/base/nsAccessibilityService.cpp#1380