I would like to see the expansion of this feature here, especially for
handling more types of content. Chrome has been working on Web Share Target
API[1] which somewhat overlaps this behaviour and could be expanded to cope
with the use cases here. I actually think web sharing is the answer here,
it also seems like we need to go back to the drawing board for this API if
we want this anyway.

Also if there is need for web extension functionality here that could
be addressed without having to expose this to the web.

I have an r+ on the patch which disables this in Nightly and early
Beta, unless there are objections I will land this in central in a few
days and we can measure if there is any issues before filing another
removal for stable.

[1] https://github.com/WICG/web-share-target/blob/master/docs/explainer.md