On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:19 AM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:06 AM, Fabrice Desre <fabr...@desre.org> wrote:
>> WebShare is more a trimmed down version of the WebActivities/WebIntents
>> apis. I think it's unfortunate that instead of fixing the issues with WA/WI
>> they went with a single purpose API - this doesn't scale at all with uses
>> case they don't think about and limits the innovation for content
>> publishers.
>
> It's a little off-topic, but the overall issue with both of those
> technologies was that the approach was too general. And such overly
> generic APIs do not translate to good UX. I think starting small and
> slowly expanding the types of things we want to make extensible, and
> thinking those through all the way up to and including the user
> experience, makes for a much more viable approach.

You're both right.

WA/WI were both way-over-architected*, however with WebShare, it's
overcorrecting the other direction, it's an API that may be too
limited, and in particular limited in such a way that unnecessarily
(and badly) biases large anti-privacy (among other ills) vertical
content silos.

While I generally agree with Anne's philosophy "starting small and
slowly expanding the types of things we want to make extensible", I
think the "which small" needs to be evaluated by a frank "Is this
actually *good* for the open web, neutral, or actively bad?"
(unfortunately the latter in this case).

Also good methodology worth repeating:
   "thinking ... through all the way up to and including the user
experience, makes for a much more viable approach"

Finally Anne is right about it being a little off-topic. This github
issue may be a better place for WebShare follow-ups (more specifics
there): https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/27

Thanks,

Tantek

*https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2001/04/21/dont-let-architecture-astronauts-scare-you/